Studies show that every New Year the top new years resolution among women is to lose weight, get fit and stay healthy. And the plan to confirm the new years resolution is generally to buy a gym card and work out regularly and intensively. But as we all know the motivation of working out hard in the gym gets lower the first month and when you don’t complete your strict workout plan you eventually simply lose the interest of working out and let the dust build a castle on your gym-card. How unfortunate!
So how can you keep your motivation to keep working out? Is the gym the only solution to get in shape? Versatility Beauty&Fashion has a great tip of another alternative of work out which is Yoga.
Before we get into the reason you should try out Yoga and the benefits of it lets get briefly into history.
Yoga, which originated from ancient India, is a physical, mental and spiritual practice with the view of attaining a state of inner peace. There are different types of Yoga such as Kundalini Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa, Bikram Yoga and Hatha Yoga. In late 19th and early 20th century Hatha Yoga was introduced to the western world and since 1980s Yoga became a popular form of physical exercise.
So why Yoga is a great alternative to work out is firstly you can practice it at home and it saves you money, meaning you don’t have to buy an expensive gym card to get in shape. Secondly, there are lower risks for muscles injuries with Yoga compare to any other workout alternatives. What is also good about Yoga is that it is very essential to always concentrate on your breathing, which energizes your body into another level. Speaking of another level your flexibility will improve since there stretching methods.
The benefits of practicing yoga when it comes to the physical are many such as
- Stable autonomic nervous system
- your pulse rate and your blood pressure decreases
- Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) increases
- EEG – alpha waves increase (theta, delta, and beta waves also increase during various stages of meditation)
- EMG activity decreases
- Cardiovascular efficiency increases
- Musculoskeletal flexibility and joint range of motion increase
- Breath-holding time increases
- Joint range of motion increase
- Grip strength increases
- Eye-hand coordination improves
- Posture improves
- Energy level increases
- Weight normalizes
- Sleep improves
- Immunity increases
- Pain decreases
- Steadiness improves
- Balance improves
- Integrated functioning of body parts improves
The psychological benefits of practicing yoga are
- Mood improves and subjective well-being increases
- Self-acceptance and self-actualization increase
- Social adjustment increases
- Anxiety and Depression decrease
- Hostility decreases
- Learning efficiency improves
- Mood improves
- Self-actualization increase
- Social skills increases
- Well-being increases
- Attention improves
- Concentration improves
- Memory improves
- Learning efficiency improves
Versatility Beauty&Fashion advice is if you are a beginner of working out try practise Yoga at home once or twice a week and gradually increase the number of the work out days and eventually you will see that working out is actually fun. Working out will become your lifestyle and getting in shape will no longer be your new years resolution.
Will you try practise yoga after reading this article?
Have you recently started practising Yoga or have you done it for a while? Please share what made you choose Yoga as an alternative of work out?
Text: Charity Odum
Photo credit : aichayoga.se